Copywriting and Conversion Coaching MMG V2 Now Open!

Thread: Best Consulting Courses?

FUB Member
    Thanks

Best Consulting Courses?

I want to get into marketing consulting as I used to be an IM and did really well. Before the economy changed in 2010. Time to make money again. So I think consulting would work well for me as I do know my stuff.

My Question is Which are the best Consulting Courses... I have Jay Abrahams from years ago, and Bob Serling's MDL 2.0 from about 8 years ago and I'm about to watch Frank Kern's and Dan Kennedy.

But I feel like I'm getting info overload and there are so many Consulting Courses. I just want get up and running and making money fast.

Any suggestions?

2. Copywriting and Conversion Coaching MMG V2 Now Open!
    FUB Member
    Thanks
    I would suggest Dan Kennedy's Business of Copy Academy. It doesn't sound like consulting but it's all about that. His bag of tricks for generating results as well as client attraction and managment. I would also recommend Frank Kern's Advanced Consulting Program or the updated Client Generating System. Jay's Protege course is fine if you are willing to do contingency consulting. On a very different level is John Carlton's Freelancers Manual...good basic stuff to get up and running. Finally, if you can find it Doug D'Anna's VERY short PDF course on making money as a copywriter....but again very much about being a consultant. There's also a great book on coaching that lays out the 5 or so different models for selling coaching...I forget the title but I can go find it later if you are interested in the title. It's an older book but still very relevant. Also Eben Pagan's course Guru Product Blueprint...which is about building a product but it's very applicable to coaching/consulting.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tjackson For This Useful Post:

Roland (03-12-2017)

FUB Member
    Thanks
    Thanks. Have you see both? Should I just watch the newer one or start with the older one on Frank Kern's Advanced Consulting Program or the updated Client Generating System.

FUB Member
    Thanks
    I've got mixed feeling on that. The newer one is more comprehensive and updated, but the older one was a little simpler and more clear IMHO. The old one's not that long. I'd take the time to watch that to get a feel for his model and then maybe watch the new one.

FUB Member
    Thanks
    Ok thanks.

FUB Member
    Thanks
    Anybody can recommend a consulting course that dosen`t involve paid advertising i`m very low on cash

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bogdy23 View Post
    Anybody can recommend a consulting course that dosen`t involve paid advertising i`m very low on cash
    I would go for: Jeff Paul's - How To Make A Surgeons Income Through Consulting

http://www.feedurbrain.com/forum/sho...Consulting-PDF

Jeff Paul certainly knows his stuff, and i have a feeling this product would be contacting biz owners direct and offering to improve their marketing/sales.

Unfortunately the above product link is down cos its so old, you could try bumping the thread as I have! Someone here must have this course...
    "The tragedy of life doesn’t lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having No Goal to reach"
    ~ Benjamin Mays ~

FUB Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bogdy23 View Post
    This is a problem. The last thing in the world you want is to be low on cash and be a consultant. Clients can smell desperation. It's the opposite of what you want.

However....that said...

You can try the surgeons income approach. It's similar to the Kern model of offering a free consult session that demonstrates your value. However, plan on doing a lot of cold calling to get someone willing to take the time for a "free consult". These days most people are aware you don't generally get something for nothing....especially savvy business people.

THE best way to get clients is your personal network and referrals. I'm guessing that's not available to your or you wouldn't be asking the question.

Bottom line...as Dan Kennedy says....if you don't have cash for advertising then the only other option is labor. The least effective for consulting is cold calling to offer a free consult. Much much better is finding places to speak where you'll be in front of your target market.

Several years back I was in a similar position. I ran a very small lead gen ad for a free report in the chamber of commerce newsletter. I didn't really get anywhere with it. However, one person who responded liked my advertising approach. We ended up meeting for lunch a few times. I knew he was looking for help and I needed some consistent money.

So I offered him to work at bargain basement discount rates in exchange for a steady paycheck. It wasn't a job. I was paid as a contractor. $150 a day for 3 days a week. It lasted almost a year.

The biggest key if you have no cash is to avoid using that as an excuse and to get creative with what you are doing. In addition to speaking I would add finding someone to joint venture with.

It's not easy but it can be done.

One thing I would add is you should be looking for a consulting marketing model, not a consulting course. AND you should be constantly studying ALL the consulting courses you can so that you can create massive value for potential clients.

I also just remembered a coach training seminar by Christian Mickelson called Big Money Business Coach....There's a lot of BS in there....but there is some great simple marketing ideas in there. I think in some ways it's better sometimes to think about marketing yourself like a coach would. They tend to be more info centric with their marketing than most consultants.
    Last edited by tjackson; 09-14-2017 at 10:41 PM.

FUB Member
    Thanks
    Overall- there's no 'best'- it depends on how you think and what skills you're trying to bolster, etc. If the original question meant 'pathway to consulting' and not 'course' as in classes to take, then apologies. But the main reply stands-- there's no best course / pathway to consulting. It is a diverse industry. Values/Attributes/Problem Solving skills trump particular capabilities on one's CV.